Have you shock chlorinated your well yet?
If you have then you’ll want to follow up with a filter to remove any other organic matter or bacteria from your drinking water to keep your water pure.
There are a number of filters to remove bacteria and other pathogens from your well before it gets into your drinking water that are very effective.
If you haven’t already shocked your well to get rid of the bacteria then make sure you read this article on how to safely do it.
Coliform bacteria is the most common problem that well owners face so you really can’t be without the proper filter.
If you don’t have time to read the whole article then check out the reviews table below to see which filters are best. Otherwise, make sure you read the whole article to see which one is going to be best for your situation.
In A Rush? Here Are Our Top Choices
Water Filters That Remove Bacteria
Coliform bacteria on its own is not at all dangerous to drink or bathe in. However, it is almost always a sign that you have other microbes that could be dangerous. You don’t necessarily need to shock your well at the first sign of a coliform bacteria, but you definitely do need to have a filter to take care of preventing any illnesses.
Check It Out
Ultraviolet Water Sterilizer Systems
With this ingenious system you can sterilize the water without using any chemicals or pressure tanks. Below is a great primer on UV Water Systems.
As the water passes through the rod equipped with a UV ray any microbes like bacteria, viruses, algae and protozoa parasites are neutralized.
In fact, 99% of microorganisms are killed before they can reach the drinking water. The other 1% that aren’t killed have their DNA changed by the light so they are unable to reproduce and infect your drinking water as it sits in the pipes.
Maintenance is pretty much non existent with only needing to change the bulb once per year required. The price of the bulbs is not that much so the seemingly high initial price of the filter is offset by the fact that operating costs are minimal.
What We Like:
- Environmentally friendly and doesn’t use any chemicals or waste water
- Works night and day, 24/7
- Doesn’t slow down water flow
- More effective than adding chlorine or chloramine to water supply
- No change in taste or smell of the water
- Uses very little electricity
What We Don’t Like:
- Only removes organic microorganisms and not any heavy metal, pesticides, or chlorine
- Only works when the water is clear ie will require a sediment pre treatment for some well owners
- Needs to be connected to power supply and won’t work in an outage
- Water can be very hot coming out of the faucet after long periods without use
- 40W 12GPM unit, 37.2*2.5 in stainless steel chamber, 3/4” (DH20, OD 1.05...
- Easy installation, No plumber needed. Horizontal installation and metal...
- NO CHLORINE, Chemical Free and Environmentally Friendly. No change at...
- Safety and Reliable, 304 stainless steel and Quartz glass are proved to be...
Reverse Osmosis Systems
Whether you choose a whole house RO water filter or a point of use one, i.e under sink or countertop, you can filter out every kind of microorganism that may be lurking in your water.
The other huge benefit is that they also filter out heavy metals, lead, arsenic, chlorine, chloramine and so much more.
They can be on the pricey side and have disadvantages, but overall, every well owner should consider these filters even if you don’t have coliform in your water.
Look for a multi stage filter as they can remove over 1,000 contaminants. The way they work is that each stage has either a very fine membrane or various filter media like activated charcoal and ceramic. As the water passes through each of the stages more contaminants are removed.
Under Sink Filter
For an under sink RO filter, I recommend RKIN’s undersink RO filter. It’s a NSF certified filter that gets your TDS to 0. And it gets rid of 99% of the contaminants in your water, including fluoride and chlorine.
When you don’t have much room under your sink and you live in an apartment so a whole house filter is not an option you can still get purified water with an RO system for coliform and other contaminants.
A countertop zero installation filter is similar to a water pitcher one except it has multi stage filtration system that no water pitcher has.
You only need it to hook up to a power source as there is no installation. Simply pour the water into the tank and let the filter do the work. Once the water chamber is full you never have to worry about water pressure. Simply open the spigot and receive the water.
I like the zero installation Countertop Reverse Osmosis Water Filter. It looks really nice on any counter and works very well. It has a 4 stage system that removes coliform plus so much more. It also adjusts the pH to a more normal level of around 7 pH. It takes roughly 15 minutes to purify a half gallon of water for drinking. It also tastes great as it does return some of the beneficial minerals in water like calcium and magnesium.
- PUREST TASTING REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER: Zero Installation Purifier transforms...
- MODERN AND STYLISH COUNTERTOP WATER FILTRATION SYSTEM: Beautify any kitchen...
- SPACE-SAVING DESIGN: The supply water tank is conveniently located in front...
- BPA FREE. Removes up to 99% of all contaminants: Including Fluoride,...
- ZERO WATER WASTE: Easily accessible rejected water not suitable for...
Looking for a water pitcher filter that removes chloramine? Check out this comparison article between Brita and Zero Water to see which one is best!
Another countertop filter does require some installation but it is just a matter of attaching the hose to the faucet. Fitting all standard faucets, the APEC Portable Countertop Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System is one of the best. It has a case cover so it doesn’t look like you are running some kind of crazy science experiment in your kitchen if you have guests over. It is also much easier to clean with the case.
With this filter you get 90 gallons of purified water per day without losing water pressure if you use taps with 40 to 80psi.
- Hooks up to most STANDARD FAUCET in minutes. Just plug and drink!...
- Top rated brand, high performance reverse osmosis drinking water systems
- Highest grade 4-Stage ultra-pure system provides refreshing crisp taste...
- Designed aluminum case for better looking, 90 GPD portable system built...
- Perfect for apartments, condos, motor homes, retirement homes, seniors,...
What We Like:
- RO uses no chemicals or additives to the water to purify it
- Eco friendly as they use very little power
- Removes organic as well as non organic matter plus sediment which is ideal for any well owner
- Without chlorine, iron or other contaminants your water tastes great
- Filters are very easy to replace
What We Don’t Like:
- All reverse osmosis filters waste water. Not all of the water makes it through so sometimes as much as 50% of the water is wasted
- Without an alkalizer the water can end up acidic
- If you don’t get a dual flow like the one listed above then the filters can get clogged and need flushing
- It takes time for the water to pass through the filter and can impact water pressure
Whole House Multistage
For a whole house filter that doesn’t use reverse osmosis, the Aquasana Rhino 5 Stage filter with UV is the best and most effective out there. It has a pre sediment system that removes silt and sediment that can ruin your appliances.
The middle stages will condition your water without eliminating the healthy minerals and also inhibits bacteria growth within the filter. Then, there is a UV filter to kill any bacteria or other VOCs that may have gotten through the other stages.
The unique engineering means you will have a water flow that doesn’t get slowed down and is less likely to clog than other systems if you have well water with a lot of sediment or hardness.
While it isn’t cheap, it does so many things other than just get rid of your coliform, that you will wonder how you drank well water without it.
- Supplies clean, healthy water to every faucet in your home
- Protects your appliances from harsh water and the effects of harsh water
- Low maintenance tank is designed for little to no maintenance
- NSF-certified to remove over 97% of chlorine present in tap water in...
- Get clean, great-tasting water to every faucet in your home, cabin,...
Gravity Fed Filters for Coliform Bacteria
Probably the simplest system is the gravity fed filter that sits on a counter and passes the water through several types of media. You can remove coliform bacteria plus heavy metals, pesticides, pharmaceuticals, arsenic, fluoride and so much more.
They require no installation and no power. You just pour the water into the top and let it filter down to the spigot where you can fill your glass or pitcher. If you lose power then this is the best way to go since it can be used totally off grid.
The best gravity fed filters out there are made by Berkey. They come in several sizes from a travel one for 1.5 gallons up to a 6 gallon version.
There are ceramic filters to get rid of sediment and the bacteria and other organic microorganisms in your water. It can filter down to .5 microns small but still allows healthy trace minerals through.
The next level is activated carbon. Volatile organic compounds (aka VOC’s), chlorine, chloramine and chemicals get absorbed by the charcoal and let the water pass through.
- Includes Big Berkey stainless steel housing (Upper, Lower, Lid and spigot...
- Holds 2.25 gallons of purified water. Designed for home use for 4 to 16...
- The Big Berkey is made with High Grade 304 Stainless Steel and measures...
- Each (1) Purification Element has a lifespan of 3,000 gallons. That's 6,000...
- Each (1) Fluoride Filter attaches onto the stem of the Black Element, as a...
Lastly, there is a nanometal like silver to remove heavy metals and prevent any bacteria which may have gotten through the ceramic layer to reproduce.
The downside to these is that the water passes quite slowly. The biggest filter will take about 2 and a half minutes to filter a gallon of water.
Made out of stainless steel you never have to worry about BPA or any off taste from plastic.
Check out the Berkey Gravity Fed Filters.
Still not sure? Read a detailed comparison of countertop gravity filters by clicking Aquasana vs Berkey!
Another countertop filter that acts like a gravity fed filter, but much better is the Aquasana Clean Water Machine.
It is far more versatile than a regular gravity filter. For starters, the water filters much faster. You get 0.5 gallon per minute with this filter so in a matter of a minute your pitcher is filled. And you can watch it fill itself.
The other benefit is that it actually uses electricity so is much more efficient. It plugs in to any outlet in your kitchen and requires no installation.
This is super versatile, also. It takes up a fraction of the space of a Berkey filter and you can remove the pitcher and put it in the fridge. If you like having a dispenser on the counter, then you can use it that way, as well.
And it is NSF certified, unlike the Big Berkey filters so know exactly what it is filtering. Though it doesn’t have the capacity of the Berkey gravity filters, I think it is the better choice.
- Powered Active Filtration - obsessively engineered to force unfiltered...
- Reduces 96% of 77 harmful contaminants including lead, mercury, asbestos,...
- Full system NSF Certified to standards 42, 53, and 401 +P473 and BPA free -...
- Hydration on demand - instant access to healthy water available at the...
- Longest lasting filter - 8x the capacity of the leading gravity based...
FAQ About Coliform Bacteria Removal
Yes, you can boil water to get rid of coliform. You should have it go to a rolling boil for about a minute. This is effective in an emergency but not very practical if you are looking to drink your water on a regular basis.
Yes, UV filtration systems are very effective at killing many types of bacteria including coliform and E Coli. It doesn’t kill giardia, however or cryptosporidium.
Yes, reverse osmosis is effective in removing most microorganisms and bacteria, including e coli and Salmonella.
Technically you can shower in water with coliform. It is far safer than drinking coliform-contaminated water. But you should still get your water treated as soon as possible.
When it comes to knowing how to remove coliform bacteria from your well drinking water, then at least there are a lot of options.
After shocking your well, you would be wise to use any of these filtration systems not only for E Coli and other pathogens but heavy metals, arsenic and so many other contaminants which can be found in your well or even city water.
These days it is more important than ever to do what you can to always be drinking water that is safe and healthy.